Monday, January 9, 2012

Bound For the Promised Land

Today's Scripture Reading: Deuteronomy 12-Joshua 2

“The LORD Himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you, nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”—Deuteronomy 31:8

There’s a song that my parents sing and one of the verses that Dad sings says, “Every road I’ve traveled down You have gone before me. You made the light to shine out of the darkness.” I think about those words often. They pack a big truth. I can look back and see God walking before me at every step of my life. He did that for the Israelites. He does it for us. We don’t take one step down any road where He is not already present. Even though this is such a blessing and a comfort, it also comes with heartbreak. How so? The Lord revealed to Moses that He has remembered His covenant with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and He will go before Israel and bring them into their inheritance just as He promised. He also tells Moses that Israel will forget His deliverance and turn away from Him and worship foreign gods in the promised land. Doesn’t that just show the compassion, mercy and faithfulness of God? He knows that they will disobey, but He keeps His word to their forefathers and delivers them to the promised land.

It makes me think about the promised land for which I’ve been praying. I sure want to take a lesson from the Israelites. How I’d hate to think that I’m sitting here pleading for God to look upon me with favor and to lead me into my promised land only to turn away from Him when I get there. No, no, no. I don’t want any part of that. I hope and pray that I survive my trip in the desert, I have surely seen His provision and His leading all the while. I pray that this trip in the desert won’t soon be forgotten. When I reach (Lord willing) my promised land I want to be thankful. No turning away.

No comments:

Post a Comment