Saturday, January 14, 2012

Do As You Have Promised

Scripture Reading: 1 Samuel 14-2 Samuel 16

In these readings I met King David. I saw him annointed by Samuel and followed him until the time just before his son, Absalom's, death. A fascinating reading. King David, a man after God's own heart. There is so much content in these passages that I couldn't possibly touch on all of them without setting out to write my own volumes of Biblical commentary through the eyes of Lydia. HA! But, I've been thinking about a prayer of David to the Lord found in 2 Samuel 7. King David decided that he should build a house for the Ark of the Covenant, for the Lord to dwell in. But, the Lord spoke to Nathan an answer to give King David. The Lord said that David was not the one to build Him a house. But, rather, his son would be the one to do this. He promised to establish Israel and the throne of David forever. David replies by praising the Lord. I love this entire prayer, but the point that gets me is when King David says, "Do as you promised." Do as you promised. David had a true relationship with God. David sought His will and His heart. Because of this relationship, David had the faith to recall the promises of God and hold Him to His Word. Do as you promised. 

Charles Spurgeon says, "Every promise of Scripture is a writing of God, which may be pleaded before Him with this reasonable request: 'Do as you have said.' The Creator will not cheat His creature who depends on His truth; and far more, the Heavenly Father will not break His word to His own child."

Memorize Scripture, folks. Take His Word to heart and present it back to Him in prayer. When I'm about to really get into an extended time of prayer, I start by saying memory verses. Why? Because His Word is living and active. It has the power to transform my heart and conform my will to His. If I were to sit down for a heart-to-heart with God in my OWN strength, there's no telling what would come out of my mouth!!! I have to start by acknowledging that He calls us.  Then, it is not demanding that He should keep His word. Careful not to have that attitude. It is more like recalling all of His goodness and having the faith to believe that He'll be true to His Word.

So, with that, let me get back to memorizing.

Today's Memory Verse:

"Do as you promised."--2 Samuel 7:25b

-->
 וַעֲשֵׂה  כַּאֲשֶׁר  דּׅבַּרְתָּ


-->
"Va-ah-seh kah-asher dee-bar-tach."

No comments:

Post a Comment