Sunday, January 8, 2012

Hear, O Israel and Spiritual Motherhood

 I love going to Hebrew on Friday nights not just because I love learning the Hebrew language, but I learn so much Scripture there! I love that the Rabbi points out so many of the Messianic prophecies of the Old Testament that were fulfilled in Christ Jesus. He also draws attention to mention of the Trinity (Father, Son and Spirit) in the Old Testament. Some of these were a complete surprise to me!

Every Shabbat we begin by saying/singing the “Sh’ma.” This is taken from Deuteronomy 6:4 “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD.” When we say it in Hebrew it is “Sh’ma Israel Adonai Elohaynu, Adonai Echad.” 

-->
שְׁמַע  יׅשְׂרָאֵל  יְהוָה  אֱלֹהֵינוֹ  יְהוָה ׀ אֶחָד׃


The Rabbi teaches us that the Hebrew word that is pronounced “Echad” we say in the KJV as “one.” But, he teaches that the full meaning of that word is not simply “one” but rather “unified.” Unified. Unified, implying that there are parts of the whole. Very interesting.

We also looked at the story of Abraham (YAY!) and the three visitors. Now, this passage is another one that holds meaning to me, but I won’t go into that right now. But it is amazing that I never noticed the significance of the three men. Three men appear to Abraham to bear the news that God’s promise would be fulfilled. There are three men, but Abraham calls them one LORD. Yes, tetragrammaton LORD. Jehovah God! Just amazing! Such a mystery to me, because I wasn’t there. But, so clear in the Word. Three visitors, One LORD.

Today’s Scripture Reading: Deuteronomy 1-11

In this first part of Deuteronomy Moses reminds the people of Israel of God’s faithfulness to them even amid their disobedience. He recalls all His mighty deeds and commands. Before I go into what I take from this passage, let me just call out a few verses that I loved:

“Know therefore that the LORD your God is God; He is the faithful God, keeping His covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love Him and keep His commands.”—Deuteronomy 7:9

“It [Israel, the promised land] is a land the LORD your God cares for; the eyes of the LORD your God are continually on it from the beginning of the year to its end.”—Deuteronomy 11:12 (Just another instance of how much God cares for Israel)

“Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them to your foreheads.”—Deuteronomy 11:18 (This was one of my memory verses last year. The command of God for us to memorize His Word.)

So, what I learned from today’s reading: God has finally given the green light for the Israelites to go and take possession of the promised land! Moses pleads with them that when they arrive they are not to forget that it was the Lord who promised and the Lord who delivered them into their inheritance. Moses reminds them that their children are not the ones who saw the miraculous signs and wonders in Egypt and in the desert. It was them. It is their responsibility to know the stories and the law and to pass that love on to their children.

So, the responsibility of a believing parent topic. Here we go, don’t know why I’m sharing this except that it was on my mind during this reading. Parenthood and contentment. I’m not one who prays that someday I’ll be a mother. I’m content to leave it into God’s plan and submit to a (hopefully someday) future husband’s decision on the matter. If God should ever bless me with a child, I’d be thrilled and thankful and I hope I would do my very best to raise him/her in the admonition of the Lord and in the ministry of the church. But if no child ever comes, BELIEVE ME, that’s OK too. I know some women have very strong desires to become mothers. But, I’m not one who feels that I’ll never be somehow “complete” if I’m not. Again, just saying that I’d be content either way.

But, I digress, my BIGGER point is this: I would love to be a “spiritual mother.” I would love to be the house where children/teenagers/college kids who have no strong spiritually sound homes could hang out. Even if they do have good spiritual role models they can come hang out. My pastor always talks about getting involved in children’s/youth ministry saying that it is essential that young people have Christian adult role models/friends outside of their own parents. It’s true. A village raised me. I want to be that house! I want to be the one who cooks/bakes too much food. You come to my house and I’m going to say, “You hungry?” Even if you say “No,” I’m going to fix you something. I want to always have a guest bed made and say “Come on in!” THAT’S my desire. And every one of them that walk through the door are going to get fed, loved, prayed for and leave with a Word for the journey.

Sharing God’s faithfulness with the next generation. It’s a command.

Today's Memory Verse:
“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD.”--Deuteronomy 6:4

No comments:

Post a Comment