Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Grumbling=Win, Patience=Fail

My devotional this morning was from Streams in the Desert and the reading was taken from Numbers 13 when Moses sent representatives from the twelve tribes into Canaan to assess the situation. The men returned with reports of giants in the land. Now God knew that there were giants and He had a plan, not to mention that He promised that land to Israel. He promised them the victory.

Today I started my final studio for my architecture degree. Now, I knew going in that it wouldn't be a walk in the park. For goodness' sake, Lydia, you're getting a degree in a highly technical engineering field. This final project won't be easy. Why did it surprise me when I walked into a mine field today? God told me in my devotional to be ready for the giant. I said, "Yes, Lord. You've brought me through this journey and I know You're faithful."

But. Yes, there's a but. But the reality of the scope of this project hit me like a brick. That wasn't the only hit. This world mounted an attack on me something fierce. And in the midst of it I lost sight of God's omniscience. He saw the giant and He had already promised to fight with me. Everything that comes our way FIRST passes through His hands with His permission. And I grumbled? 

After studio I left for work and was hit with another attack. And I grumbled. AND I fired back a bit. I apologized to target of my fire, but I still felt defeated. Then, I found this quote by Charles Swindoll: "Today is unique! It has never occurred before and it will never be repeated. At midnight it will end quietly, suddenly, totally, forever. But the hours between now and then are opportunities with eternal possibilities." I realized that today wasn't over. The store was pretty quiet tonight and I fortunately had about an hour of complete quiet at the register. I spent the entire hour praying out loud, begging forgiveness for my grumbling and praising God for who He is. He's everything.

Today's Scripture Reading from my 90-day Plan: Leviticus 20-Numbers 14

Don't you think it is funny? My devotion from this morning was out of Numbers 13. You know, about the giant? And then God made me read it again tonight. He's serious, y'all. We see our giants and lose sight of God's promise. The Israelites did it and so do we. I grow ever more convinced that the thing that will arouse God's anger quickest is grumbling. Why? Grumbling is the opposite of trust, peace and joy. We may think we are just grumbling about our circumstances. But, at the center of all grumbling lies doubt. If we believed God, we would have no cause to grumble. Ouch. That hits hard. Moses pleaded for God to forgive the Israelites for their grumbling. God did forgive them, but that generation was not allowed to see the Promised Land. That's scary. They died in the desert because of their grumbling. Now, doesn't that sobering thought replace my grumbling with repentance. 

Today's Memory Verse:

"The LORD replied, 'I have forgiven them as you asked. Nevertheless, as surely as I live and as surely as the glory of the LORD fills the whole earth, not one of the men who saw my glory and the miraculous signs I performed in Egypt and in the desert but who disobeyed me and tested me ten times--not one of them will ever see the land I promised on oath to their forefathers. No one who has treated me with contempt will ever see it."--Numbers 14:20-23

I chose this passage to memorize to remind me of the lesson I learned today and to remind me of the consequences of grumbling. Not a fun one to memorize, but the important lessons aren't always roses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment