Tuesday, January 10, 2012

In Those Days, Israel Had No King

Today's Scripture Reading: Judges and Ruth

Throughout the entirety of the book of Judges, we find the Israelites caught up in a pattern: they forsake the LORD and turn to foreign gods, God becomes angry and delivers them into the hands of their enemies, they cry out for mercy from the LORD, God gives them victory, they forsake the LORD and turn to foreign gods. It is a vicious cycle. I think this is where I need to be careful in my own life. Careful that I honor the Lord, give thanks to the Lord and be true to 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in every circumstance, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." It is so important to love God and honor Him and praise Him for all of the good times, remembering that all victory and joy comes from Him. We can't just forsake Him when all is going well and assume He'll help us when we suddenly need Him. Of course, we do just that sometimes. I'm praying that I continually seek God in the good and the bad times. 

There's a passage in Judges that really stands out to me. Israel has, yet again, abandoned trust in the LORD. Of course, as soon as trouble comes they change their tune. The Lord's response to their cry is found in Judges 10:13-16--"'But you have forsaken me and served other gods, so I will no longer save you. Go and cry out to the gods you have chosen Let them save you when you are in trouble!' But the Israelites said to the LORD, 'We have sinned. Do with us whatever you think best, but please rescue us now.' Then they got rid of the foreign gods among them and served the LORD. And He could bear Israel's misery no longer." I read and re-read that last sentence over and over to myself and outloud: "And He could bear Israel's misery no longer. And He could bear Israel's misery no longer. And He could bear Israel's misery no longer." He is such a compassionate God. He heard the cries of His chosen people and though they had abandoned Him, He had mercy on them. Praise the Lord!

Now there's also a passage that I'm struggling with. Jephthah is a man that God uses to deliver Israel from the Ammonites. Before leaving for war, Jephthah makes a vow to God saying "If you give Ammonites into my hands, whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the LORD'S, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering."--Judges 11:30-31 God does deliver the Ammonites into Jephthah's hand and when he retunrs home, his only child (a daughter) greets him at the door. So, Jephthah cries out in agony realizing the vow he made to the Lord. We're not told definitively that he sacrificed her as a burnt offering, but verse 39 says "he did to her as he had vowed..." I went to some commentaries on the subject, but I'm still at such a loss with this one. We're told in the earlier books of the Law over and over that one of the practices God DETESTED of the foreign people with foreign gods was that they were sacrificing their sons and daughters on the altars. So, then why does God give Jephthah the victory over the Ammonites? Is it to show that we shouldn't be so quick to make foolish vows to the Lord? Why didn't He send an angel to stop the sacrifice like with Abraham? Did Jephthah really burn her or did he just turn her over to service for the Lord? So many questions and I really wish I was going to see my Uncle Anthony tomorrow. I know he'd have a good answer on the subject. Lots of questions.

Samson. Now there's an arrogant man with a temper. And his wife? And then Delilah? Those scheming, nagging women. Boo. Hiss. That's all I have to say about that. Then the episode with the Levite and his concubine being raped and then he cuts her into twelve pieces and sends those pieces to the twelve tribes. Oy. "In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as he saw fit."

The book of RUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank goodness the canon places the book of Ruth after the book of Judges. I sure needed it after that read. I loved that Boaz notices Ruth he tells the men not to touch her. He also tells Ruth that he told them that. So, she has a sense of security. This world, then and now, are filled with evil. Just since I've moved to Savannah I've had some scary moments when I wish someone had told the men not to touch me. God did, or he had angels with me on three specific occasions that come to mind. That's just since I've moved to Savannah, not to mention one really scary time years before. Good grief! What is wrong with some of the men in this world? (Now, I'm not a man hater. There are so many Godly men in this world, and for them I'm thankful!) But, I just think about what it would mean to me to have a sweet man take notice and tell me that he's told the other men that they are not to touch me. Well, eventually Boaz says to Ruth, "This kindness is greater than that which you showed earlier: You have not run after the younger men, whether rich or poor. And now, my daughter, don't be afraid. I will do for you all that you ask. All my fellow townsmen will know that you are a woman of noble character."--Ruth 3:10-11 Boaz marries Ruth and she bears him a son. Get this! The son's name is Obed, who becomes the father of Jesse, who becomes the father of KING DAVID! This is Christ's geneology in place! This is just such a beautiful story and the perfect ending to my readings for today! Happy thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment