Wednesday, January 18, 2012

There Are Monkeys!

 Monkeys. My Dad and I just love those things! From the time I was a baby, he always gave me little toy monkeys and we never send a card to each other unless a monkey is on it. True. It's all about the monkeys. In fact, if the package doesn't contain a monkey, it must have one on the outside. Even at the risk of embarrassment. For example, I plopped a package down on the counter at the main branch of the post office here in Savannah with a crazy picture of a monkey on the front. The postmaster glared at me over the counter. I made the same face as the monkey. He couldn't help but smile and sent it on. 

Well, tonight I was reading 1 Kings 7-12. There are monkeys, folks. I knew there HAD to be mention of them in the Bible. There just had to be! 1 Kings 10:22--"The king had a fleet of trading ships at sea along with the ships of Hiram. Once every three years it returned, carrying gold, silver and ivory, and apes and baboons." King Solomon had the monkeys! I excitedly called Dad to tell him the good news. He said, "King Solomon. The wisest man in the world. He had the monkeys, so why wasn't one of his proverbs 'Never look a monkey in the eye?'" I said, "Maybe it is! I haven't read all of the Proverbs yet!" Dad said, "Oh, I've read them all. It ain't there." HAHA!

It's the little things.

Yes, I did get some deeper meaning from my reading tonight. Solomon was so wise, but was led astray by his wives. He disobeyed God and intermarried with women who served foreign gods. These women turned him to their gods. We are human, and love is so powerful in our hearts. That is why it is so important to marry someone who won't distract you from the Lord, but will spur you on in your faith. Paul said in 2 Corinthians 6:14 "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?" Wives submit to your husbands, husbands love your wives. I'm all for that. Give me a man who seeks the Lord first and I'll gladly trust him to lead me in all things. That's what I want. I want someone that when I follow his leading, well that he's leading me more and more to Christ. (And secondary to that, love letters and roses. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment