Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Beginnings

New beginnings. The Bible is just full of them. Actually, every day for the believer is a day of new beginnings. In Lamentations 3:22-23 we find that "Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." I thank God that His mercies are new every morning because I surely need His mercy every morning. He offers us an abundance of second chances. But, I don't want to think of this new year as "starting over." The Bible also says in Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." God finishes what He starts! I could sure take a cue from Him. I can't begin to list all of the projects that I start and never finish. I'm so thankful that He's not finished with me! So, I want to think of this new year as a chance to continue to grow in Him, to allow Him to use all of my past to shape me into the person He intends me to be, and strive to spend every day seeking His Will.

Today's Scripture Reading: Exodus 35-Leviticus 4

God had very specific instructions for His Holy Tabernacle. This is the place where His Glory would dwell on earth, the place where priests would make atonement for the sins of the people, the place where instruction would be given to God's chosen people, Israel. He has specific instructions and He says that He specifically called and gifted different people in different skills in order to build His dwelling. He still does that! He still gifts His people with all kinds of talents and skills and expects them to use them for His Glory in the church. In moving on to Leviticus I'm immediately bogged down with all of the offerings. First of all, let's not romanticize the priesthood. Their job was dirty! Thank goodness they stepped up to their calling for the sake of atoning for the sins of their people! I'm so thankful for Jesus' sacrifice even more after today's reading. Praise the Lord that He made the ultimate atonement for our sins, otherwise, I think the bulls, goats, sheep and doves would go extinct from the sacrifices for my sins! I can picture Aaron and Moses, "Here comes Lydia again." "Yep, she's got another bull with her." "Oy veh!" HAHA!

Today's Memory Verse:

"But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people."--Ephesians 5:3

No comments:

Post a Comment